A tremendous amount of scientific innovation is taking place across Africa, with many researchers and entrepreneurs developing new solutions to make a positive impact in their own communities, and around the world. Johnson & Johnson Innovation wants to shine a spotlight on those researchers and entrepreneurs and the impact of their work on society.
Through the “Champions of Science Storytelling Challenge – Africa Science Week Edition” we aim to showcase the contributions of the talented and passionate researchers and entrepreneurs from Africa, to build public engagement and support for science, and inspire the next generation to pursue scientific fields that will have the potential to drive Africa’s socio-economic transformation.
The Africa Science Week Edition of the Challenge is open specifically to attendees of the 2018 Africa Science Week conference. You must attend at least one Africa Science Week event to be eligible.
• Any registered attendee of 2018 Africa Science Week, who is a citizen or permanent resident of a country in Africa
• All Africa Science Week attendees are encouraged to apply, you do not need to be a researcher or entrepreneur in order to submit an application. Are you a student? Scientist? Innovator? Researcher? NGO? Passionate about science with no formal education? We welcome all Champions of Science to share your story!
• If you are affiliated with an institution or private company, you must be authorized to represent the research or innovation being profiled.
• Must be 18 years of age or older to submit an application.
Up to 5 winners will receive the following rewards:
• $5,000 award
• Recognition as a Champion of Science through publicity and social media channels.
• Potential Invitation to serve as a “Champion of Science” ambassador at local or regional scientific/science policy meetings, as opportunities arise
• Subject to meeting all terms and conditions of the organizers of NEF 2020, paid attendance to the upcoming NEF Global Gathering 2020, provided by the Next Einstein Forum.
• All valid stories to be published in the Champions of Science compendium via JNJInnovation.com
An independent selection committee will evaluate submissions based on their ability to meet the following criteria: Does the story communicate the author’s thoughts about the questions posed in the Challenge?
To what extent is the story engaging and interesting?
Note: Written stories & video stories will be accepted in English, French, Arabic and Portuguese.
• Short bio about yourself (300 words or less)
• A profile photo
• Any additional photos that will help tell your story are encouraged but not required*
• A 300-500 word story* OR a 2-3 minute video* that discusses the following topics:
How does science impact your daily life?
What does it mean to be a Champion of Science?
Why is it important to engage people of all generations and backgrounds to be Champions of Science?
Why is it important to tell stories of science and engage the public in understanding and supporting scientific innovation?
Why is science and innovation vital to advancing Africa’s socio-economic development?
**Applicant should have written permission to provide the likeness of any individual who is recognizable in a photo or video to Johnson & Johnson that he/she wishes to include as part of his/her Application.Applicant promises that the use of photos of an individual and/or the appearance of an individual in a photo or video included in an application shall not infringe such individuals’ right to privacy. *
• Accepted file formats: PDF (.pdf), MS Word (.doc), MS Word (.docx), .avi, .mp4, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, Youtube and Vimeo links.